Wednesday, July 25, 2012

How to appear better than you really are

Don't post bad pictures.

D'uh.

Everyone takes lots of pictures, and lots of them turn out to be bad pictures. It's normal.

Ok, it isn't so great, if all your pictures are bad. But if you think all your pictures are good, time to take a humble pill or change your spectacle prescription. :p

Anyway, I take lots of pictures. For most everyday pictures, I would take 3-4 pictures - from slightly different angles, try different settings, or if I think the picture has potential, I'd take hundreds. Yes... hundreds.

But I cull mercilessly. It's a good day, if 5% of my pictures make it to facebook.

If you want to show many of the same or similar shots, consider doing a montage, or a series of shots (see bottom picture for example). Try not to post numerous mundane average looking pictures which look all pretty similar.

If you only post your best pictures, people actually think that you are far better than what you really are! Shh... that's just our little secret :)

Anyway, I typically post these types of pictures:

1.Nice shots


The kind of shots you are proud of, and can look back and say - hey, that's not too bad!
For this, I took nearly.... 200 shots over 2 sunsets, and selected what I thought was the "best" one of the lot.








2.Memorable Shots

The kind of shots where the occasion was interesting or memorable, but the picture wasn't so great. Like this ugly looking thing on the right - my son caught this sea snake on a fishing line at night. Not a picture to win any awards, but the occasion was memorable. And yes, there was only ONE picture of this ugly thing, not 5, or even 2.

So other examples are some of my wedding shots, like the exchange of vows, the kiss, etc - some of these didn't come out as nice and sharp as I'd like - but - it's a memorable occasion, not something you can redo. So that'll have to do. Doesn't have to be the best shots, just hopefully not "bad".

There are times when a picture by itself isn't so interesting, but I do want to tell a story. So I combine a few into a frame.


So keep shooting, trying different things, learning (I don't believe the journey to learn ever ends) - and most importantly, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment